Acting Locally, Impacting Globally
Evergreen’s annual Earth Day event is only possible with the support of time, energy and expertise from our partners, parents, and friends.
This year’s learning workshops:
- Steve O’Neil’s “Wonderful Reptiles”
- Rob Gudger’s “Wolf Tales”
- Wild For Life’s Raptor Education Project
Were made possible through the generous support from John Edward’s Mountain Wildlife Days
We are so grateful to the following partners and contributors:
Mother Earth Produce for their donations of fresh fruits and vegetables for our healthy snack “fuel stop”, 8th grade chefs made fresh salads and smoothies and fed over 400 students and staff healthy snacks!
The Blue Ridge EV Club for bringing their amazing fleet of electric powered vehicles and their good humor and stories.
Asheville Color and Imaging for donating new “labels” for all of our school’s trash cans to remind us all to reduce, reuse and recycle EVERY day.
Painters Nursery, BB Barnes and Pisgah Plants for discounts and donations, making our new habitat garden expansion possible. Jackie Hamstead from UNCA helped us install our new garden space...thank you!
Roots Hummus for donating hummus to feed our presenters and volunteers.
Southern Appalachian Raptor Research and their network of volunteers for supporting 4th grade.
Evergreen’s Fundraising Leadership Team fortheir extra time and energy to make tshirts and plants sales a success.
The many parents, staff and community who pitched in extra tools, hours and expertise!
If learning is the heart of Earth Day, doing service is the soul...
Together, with your support, our community accomplished the following service projects on Earth Day:
- K & 6th Grade beautified our school by weeding, planting and mulching our parking lot and gym flower beds.
- 1st Grade scrubbed ALL of the school’s Danny’s Dumpster compost bins.
- 2nd Grade, with the help of tools from Greenworks, picked up trash and litter all over our campus and down to Haw Creek and up Bell Road.
- 3rd Grade, with support from UNCA and Pisgah Plants, expanded our butterfly and pollinator
- attracting gardens.
- 4th Grade , with support from SARR, built 7 bird nest boxes to donate to The Roots Foundation, to be installed at Vance Elementary School.
- 5th Grade served in the Evergreen Peace Garden, weeding, mulching pathways, fixing water drainage issues, and transplanting plant starts.
- 7th Grade presented a learning workshop titled “Simple Tools Solve Complex Problems” that shared ways people across the globe use resourcefulness and teamwork to enhance the health of their
- 8th Graders served as leaders across our campus and in our greater community…
- In partnership with Mother Earth Produce, they prepared and served over 400 healthy snacks to our
- students and teachers, and volunteers.
- Led our community circle, supported our lower grades service projects, and planned and executed our community picnic .
- Planted trees and completed farm chores for two
- families in our extended community.
- Built two massive dirt berms and completed trail maintenance for our Mountain Bike trail .
Thanks to all of our many partners and friends who help to make this day possible!